A Quick Guide to the Proper Essay Format
Any essay can be covered in five parts: the introduction, the body which includes three main points and the conclusion. A proper essay format should comprise of all these parts.
In a proper format of an essay, the body of the essay does not necessarily have three main points. Depending on the topic and the matter you can even have more main points. Although, using this particular structure for an essay format will make it easy for you to envision the paper.
The introduction of any essay must answer the basic three questions:
- What are you trying to tell in the essay? By answering this, you let your reader know the subject of your essay. For example, if the essay is about any book, then the answer would give details about the author, title and other necessary information.
- How will you talk about it? Answering this question would let the reader have an idea about how the essay has been organized. In this you introduce the main points of the essay in brief or the evidences that would prove your point of view.
- What will I prove in the essay? This is the thesis statement which is generally the last sentence of the first paragraph as well as it states the point you make in the essay.
The body of the essay is the main part of the essay and a proper format for an essay include everything which lies between the introduction as well as conclusion. It is that part of the essay where the writer would discuss the three main points. A nicely written essay would cover the three points in separate paragraphs.
In each paragraph the writer would:
- Introduce his point
- Explain that point
- Provide supporting evidence and include quotes
- Explain how the point as well as the evidence is related to the thesis.
According to the proper essay format the conclusion repeats the introduction. The best way is to reiterate the three questions you keep in mind while writing the introduction. Organize the format of a paper as it becomes easier to further write the essay. A properly organized essay would hold the reader's interest and convince him to continue reading the complete essay.
Whenever you write an essay in the MLA style, it is better to follow the proper MLA essay format. The academic setting of the MLA style includes one inch page margin and double-spaced paragraphs. A header would include the author's name, name of the professor, the title of course and date of submission on the first page of the paper. The list of the works consulted would be on a separate page at the end of the essay.
The APA format of writing also known as the American psychological association is commonly utilized to cite the sources in education, psychology as well as the social sciences. A proper APA essay format comprises of the following sections: the title page, the abstract, the main section and the reference list.
In a proper essay format, the title page should have a running head, the title, author's name as well as school affiliation. The abstract is usually a brief summary of your essay that follows the title page. The abstract should not exceed 250 words. The main body comprises of the actual essay and the reference list includes all the sources utilized in the essay.